Saturday 8 January 2011

Happy New Year, Duck!

I don't know why, but the numerous disappointing and unmemorable (or unremembered due to copious amounts of champagne) New Year's Evenings I've had have not totally banished the sparkle and excitement for me. I still feel like its an occasion and enjoy being full of anticipation for the year ahead. 2010 was a fairly hideous year, all things considered, so I was extra glad to see the back of it, and looking forward to feeling (for a week or so at least) wiped clean and full of promise. A special night called for a special dinner (and a good stomach liner) and I went for the aforementioned Yotam Ottolenghi duck recipe. I have posted the whole recipe below, aren't I good?

If you can't get blood oranges (and I couldn't) normal oranges are fine, I used these and a carton of freshly squeezed blood orange juice rather than squeezing my own oranges. I got my duck from the poultry man in the Guildhall Market, it was French Barbary duck, apparently Gressingham duck is the best choice but I have never cooked duck before so wasn't too bothered about the finer points of duck type. The breasts were very large (hyuk) and good value I thought. I halved the quantities as I only cooked for myself and the boy.

Seared duck breasts with blood orange and star anise:
4 duck breasts (180 - 200g each)
2 tbsp fennel seeds
a pinch of dried chili flakes
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp coarse sea salt
240ml blood orange juice (from about 4 oranges)
plus 4 whole blood oranges
180ml red wine
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
16 star anise
6 dried chilies

1.Score the skin of the duck breasts in a diamond shape.
2.Mix the fennel, chili flakes, cumin, salt and pepper and massage into the duck with your hands. Leave to marinate, preferably overnight.
3.Trim the top and bottom off each orange, stand them up and peel with a knife, following the curve of the orange, to remove all peel and pith. Slice each one horizontally into 6 slices and set aside.
4.To sear the duck, heat a large, heavy frying pan (one for which you have a lid). Place the duck breasts in it, skin side down and cook for 3 minutes until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for 3 minutes on the other side, then set aside somewhere warm.
5.Discard most of the fat from the pan and add the wine, vinegar, orange juice and star anise. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until reduced by about half. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Return the duck breasts to the pan and stir to coat them in the sauce. Cover with a lid and simmer for 7 minutes.
6.Add the dried chilies and orange slices to the pan, cover again and simmer for another 3 minutes.
7.By this time the duck should be medium-rare. Remove the duck breasts from the sauce, place on a cutting board and leave to rest for a few minutes. Check and adjust the sauce.
8.Slice the duck breasts at an angle, and serve with the orange slices and the sauce drizzled on top.



We had this with sweet potato mash and savoy cabbage. The sauce is absolutely gorgeous, complex, rich, sweet, spicy and sour; so many levels of flavour. The duck was delicious and felt quite decadent and different. The recipe might seem like a bit of a ball-ache to do, but it is really simple if you follow Yotam's steps and well worth the effort; cheers duck.

No comments: